Packages can provide visitors with a really compelling reason to visit our region. They can showcase the best of Bendigo, offer a unique experience, or represent great value. By pulling together different elements, or collaborating with other local businesses to create an exciting product, you make your future guests’ journey planning easier. That can be the competitive advantage between visitors booking with your business or going elsewhere.
Developing a concept:
- What part of your business are you hoping to drive?
- What would attract your target demographic?
- Is your package “on brand” for Bendigo? Check the Bendigo brand toolkit for more information.
- For potential collaborators check out the Bendigo Tourism partner directory, attend our networking events, or even put the word out in the industry Facebook Page.
- If you’re not sure who to contact for collaborations you can also contact the tourism team to ask for assistance.
Refining the details:
- A snappy title and appealing images
- Exactly what’s included and how much each part costs, including commissions
- The consumer price
- Have you run it past the tourism team or the visitor centre’s bookings team?
- How are bookings and inventory managed?
- How can customers book your product? Will it be direct, via the Bendigo Visitor Centre, other platforms?
- Are staff across all participating businesses trained on the package?
- Who takes the payment; and what are the agreed terms of funds transfer?
- What’s the process for complaints or feedback? Who responds?
- Have you ensured that any dates where one party is not available are blocked out?
- How are you going to co-market this package?
Evaluate and refresh:
- Listen to reviews and feedback, what do they love about it, what could be improved? Can it be tweaked for upcoming campaigns? See our upcoming campaigns, and this guide to getting involved in campaigns.
Below are some tried and true examples of accommodation packages as a starting point to get ideas flowing. You can also check out these resources on creating an experience and innovative experience case studies.
Our team are happy to brainstorm ideas and assist in collaborations.
Packaging up accommodation with tickets, vouchers or lunch at one of our attractions is a great way to help our visitors begin to plan their adventure. Check out this list of attractions and tours that might be a good fit for your accommodation.
Mid-week or long weekend deals
Pay 2 stay 3, or pay 3 and stay 4 deals are a great motivator for guests to stay for longer and fill those quieter nights. Mid-week deals are also great for people flying to Bendigo from Sydney, as that’s when the cheaper flights are.
There are lots of options when it comes to making a pamper package. It could be teaming up with another tourism business that offers massage, beauty services or indulgences, or offering a room with a spa or bath, and adding some luxurious bath oils, decadent local treats and room service.
Must Love Dogs B&B in Rutherglen ran a package which included a 3 nights mid-week stay and breakfast, chocolates and muscat on arrival, home-cooked treats for all, a yummy homemade Devonshire tea, a fun-filled dog-friendly wine tour. QStation in Sydney does a Ghostly Getaway package which includes accommodation and a ghost tour. Including a point of difference, or attracting a niche audience, will help your package stand out.
Local hampers are an easy value add for packages. The Bendigo Visitor Centre can help you select a hamper from their Uniquely Bendigo range for your price point. There are also lots of other tourism businesses that you could work with to create local hampers, products or experiences. Check out these lists to find businesses that can provide local products or experiences: cafes & restaurants, producers, cellar doors and wineries, craft beer, fashion and accessories, gifts and homewares.
Heytesbury House along the Great Ocean Road is a unique accommodation that offers individual rooms and can be booked by a group. They offer a group murder mystery package for 8 – 10 people, or romance packages for couples.